The Vacation's Over

Those of you who know us know that we love a good road trip. Our 9 month road trip through the USA ended 4 years ago, but we missed a few spots that we have been itching to get to. I have always wanted to visit Mesa Verde, but we didn't make it there on our tour due to the weather. Well, that dream has now been realized as Rob and I just returned from our 7 day road trip that included Phoenix, Sedona, Wupatki National Monument, Navajo National Monument, Sunset Crater, Monument Valley, 4 Corners, Mesa Verde, and Durango. Whew!

The little one was in good hands at home with best friend, Amanda, Grandma Wendy, and the G-parents. THANKS to them!!!
Here we go:

Downtown Phoenix


Phoenix Art Museum

Sedona


Sunset Crater


Navajo National Monument

check out the view from our campsite!
built by Native Americans approximately 800 years ago.

Four Corners

the only place in the country where you can stand in 4 states at once!

Monument Valley

check out how small the cars are and you can really tell how massive these butes are. Can't you just picture Tom Cruise hanging off one of the sides for Mission Impossible II? I know I can!

Mesa Verde

from the mesa top! Dang, that is one high mesa!Mesa Verde is a National Park that includes over 600 cliff dwellings that were built by the Pueblo Indians from A.D. 600 to A.D 1300. They lived in this area of the southwestern corner of Colorado for over 700 years. They built these villages inside the areas of the sandstone cliffs that had been eroded away by water. They farmed on the top of the mesa and lived in the protected area of the cliff outcroppings. It looks like it sits close to the ground, but NO it doesn't.

The truly awe inspiring part is how unbelievably high these cliff dwellings are. About 1,000 to 2,000 feet from the base of the cliffs. Here you can start to see how you are on a cliff, but wait for it...
this is how we climbed out of one of the dwellings! I almost peed myself. I guess I didn't read the fine print on the tour description that described clinging to cliff side for dear life.
zoom out a little bit more and you start to get an inkling of an idea of the height i'm talking about.
Now it's getting scary.Now notice how the entire picture above shows just the tippy top of the mesa in the picture below. I'm just saying.....these kids had some major cajones!
Durango B&B


October 6, 2008

2 comments:

Anonymous | October 6, 2008 at 12:17 PM

very cool.

Anonymous | October 11, 2008 at 9:56 AM

NOW I see what you were doing while Sydney and I watched Finding Nemo!

Post a Comment